Jack Batchelor - Found on flickr









It's fun to be young and playful. That's the feeling I get from looking at Jack Batchelor's work. I found him while treasure hunting on flickr and I really wanted to share his work with you. I got him to answer a few questions and tell me a bit about his work. So here you go...




Name: Jack Louis Batchelor
Age: 18
Place: Canterbury, England

FD:Amateur or Pro:

Jack: Since I've never been paid for any of my work, I'd consider myself an amateur

FD:When and how did you get into photography:

Jack: I got into photography around my 16th birthday, 2 and a half years ago. My cousin is a professional photographer and I had always been interested in his work, so when my brother was selling his DSLR, I couldn't wait to start taking photos myself. I always remember my dad telling me that being a photographer was the best job you could have, so that's always stuck with me since childhood I guess

FD:How would you describe your style?

Jack: Modern. I do a lot of editing and post-processing to my work and always shoot on digital. I think the themes and concepts I come up with mostly draw from other photographers on Flickr who have a similar modern style to mine.

FD:Have you ever been published, where?

Jack: Not yet I'm afraid... However one of my photos was put on the front page of the Photography section on the Vogue Italia website earlier this week, which I was just ecstatic with since It was up there with the likes of Karrah Kobus (A huge inspiration). My portfolio on Vogue can be found here

FD:Who is your favorite photographer, and why?

Jack: I don't think I could narrow it down to just one photographer since I like getting my inspiration from loads of different styles. My cousin, Ollie Harrop, has some really artistic and powerful portraits that inspired me to start photography in the first place. Lieko Shiga, simply because her work has such a unique style and the colours and set ups she creates are really out of the world... Both wonderful and strange. And of course, Luke Sharratt and Chloe Smith, because my work wouldn't be anything near as it is today without them.

FD:What inspires you to photograph? 

Jack: Long walks, my girlfriend, Flickr, watching movies. Pretty much whenever I'm sitting at home and don't feel like I'm making the most of a beautiful day :)

FD:Do you think photography is respected as it should be, compared to other forms of art such as painting?

Jack: Absolutely. I've had people come up to me in the past and say that photography is just pointing a camera and pressing "click", therefor can't be considered art. The majority of those people have probably never experimented with photography or attempted to capture light. There are so many different elements that go into a photograph, and it's really something not everyone can just do. Just look at the photos of Lieko Shiga, and tell me Photography can't be compared to paintings and other art forms. Plus I think with the modern introduction of Photoshop, people are enhancing their photo's with even deeper artistic elements.

FD:I asked Jack to pick a couple of his pictures and tell us a little bit about them.

Jack: This shot is probably the most fun I've ever had taking photographs and editing. It's a personal photo that means a lot to me, and I really feel it's completely unique to most of my others. Inspired by other artists, I've always wanted to create a photo that kind of stripped away the elements of a conventional photograph and really try and create a piece of "art".
Jack: I think this photograph is a good example of how I work with nature and the colours I try and portray through editing. It's a portrait of my girlfriend and I really love how natural she looks surrounded in her environment. She usually hates her photo being taken, so this is the one of the few photos of her that you'll see her most natural state haha 

FD:and lastly... what's the plan? 

Jack: Move to London at the end of the year to do a 3 year degree in English and American Comparative Literature whilst building up my portfolio for photography and making as many contacts as possible. By the time I've finished University (hopefully) I'll have a clear idea of what kind of style I want to pursue in my photography, since I'm quite torn between doing something fashion related or something with a deeper impact and meaning.













 If you want to see more, go here


No comments:

Post a Comment